- On the Frontlines of Scaling-Up: A Qualitative Analysis of Implementation Challenges in Rural India (with Shruti Majumdar and Paromita Sanyal), April 2017
- Relief from Usury: Impact of a Community-Based Microcredit Program in Rural India (with V. Hoffmann, V. Surendra, and U. Datta), April 2017
- Oral Democracy and Women’s Oratory Competency in Indian Village Assemblies: A Qualitative Analysis (with Paromita Sanyal and Umang Prabhakar), October 2015
- Recasting Culture to Undo Gender: A Sociological Analysis of Jeevika in Rural Bihar, India (with Shruti Majumdar and Paromita Sanyal), September 2015
- “Sex Work” (With Manisha Shah) in Kaushik Basu and Annemie Maertens (edited), Oxford Companion to Economics in India, Second Edition, Oxford University Press, Delhi (2011)
- “Tokenism vs. Agency? The Impact of Women’s Reservations on Village Democracies in South India,” (with Radu Ban) Economic Development and Cultural Change, February 2009
- “Dowries” in Kaushik Basu (edited) Oxford Companion to Economics in India, Oxford University Press, Delhi (2006 and 2011)
- “Wedding Celebrations as Conspicuous Consumption: Signaling Social Status in Rural India,” (with Francis Bloch and Sonalde Desai), Journal of Human Resources, Volume XXXIX, Number 3, Summer 2004
- “The Determinants of Gender Equity in India: Examining Dyson and Moore’s Thesis with New Data” (joint with Lupin Rahman), Population and Development Review, 30(2), Pp: 239-268, June 2004
- “Sex Workers and The Cost of Safe Sex: The Compensating Differential for Condom Use in Calcutta,” (Lead Author, with Indrani Gupta, Michael Lokshin and Smarajit Jana),” Journal of Development Economics, 71, Pp: 585-603, August 2003.
- “Terror as a Bargaining Instrument: A Case Study of Dowry Violence in Rural India,” (with Francis Bloch), American Economic Review, Vol 92, #4, Pp: 1029-1043, September 2002
- “Poverty and Public Celebrations in Rural India,” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science,” Vol. 573, Pp: 85-104, 2001
- “The Marriage Squeeze Interpretation of Dowry Inflation – Response,” Journal of Political Economy, December, 2000
- “The Demand for Dowries and Bride Characteristics in Marriage: Empirical Estimates for Rural South-Central India,” (with Anil Deolalikar, Univ. of Washington), in Gender, Population, and Development, M.Krishnaraj, R.Sudarshan, A.Sharif (ed.), Oxford University Press, 1998
- “Wife Beating in Rural South India: A Qualitative and Econometric Analysis,” Social Science and Medicine , Vol. 44, # 8, Pp. 1169-1180, April 1997. For this paper please see this extended version: “Wife-Abuse, Its Causes and Its Impact on Intra-Household Resource Allocation in Rural Karnataka: A “Participatory Econometric” Analysis, in Gender, Population, and Development, M.Krishnaraj, R.Sudarshan, A.Sharif (ed.), Oxford University Press, 1998.
- “Dowry Inflation in Rural India: A Statistical Investigation,” Population Studies Vol. 47 (July 1993).
- “The Rising Price of Husbands: A Hedonic Analysis of Dowry Increases in Rural India“, Journal of Political Economy Vol. 101, #4 (August 1993).
- “The Marriage Squeeze and the Rise in Informal Marriage in Brazil,” (with Margaret E. Greene) Social Biology, Vol. 42 #1/2, Spring 1995 (Also published in an earlier version in Portugese as “A Compressao do Mercado Matrimonial e o Aumento das Unioes Consensuais no Brasil,” Revista Brasileira De Estudos De Populâço , V.9 N.2, Jul/Dec. 1992)
Village Council President, South Kanara, Karnataka
© V. Rao