- Flies Without Borders: Lessons from Chennai on Improving India’s Public Health Services (with Monica Das Gupta, R. Dasgupta, P. Kungananthan, TV Somanathan, and KN Tewari), September 2017
- Anatomy of Failure: Integrating Ethnography with a Randomized Control Trial to Evaluate an Attempt to Deepen Democracy in Rural India,” (with Kripa Ananthpur and Kabir Malik), March 2014
- “Dignity Through Discourse: Poverty and the Culture of Deliberation in Indian Village Democracies,” (with Paromita Sanyal), Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, Vol. 629, pp:146-172, May 2010
- “Symbolic Public Goods and The Coordination of Collective Action: A Comparison of Local Development in India and Indonesia,” Chapter 10 in Pranab Bardhan and Isha Ray (editors) Contested Commons: Conversations Between Economists and Anthropologists, Wiley-Blackwell Publishers, 2008
- “The Political Construction of Caste in South India,” (with Radu Ban) mimeo, World Bank, October 2007
Grama Panchayat Members, Bidar, Karnataka
© V. Rao
- “Conclusion,” (With Michael Walton), Chapter 16 in Culture and Public Action: A Cross-Disciplinary Dialogue on Development Policy, (Vijayendra Rao and Michael Walton, editors) Stanford, Stanford University Press, 2004
- “Culture and Public Action: Relationality, Equality of Agency and Development,” (with Michael Walton), Chapter 1 inCulture and Public Action: A Cross-Disciplinary Dialogue on Development Policy, (Vijayendra Rao and Michael Walton, editors) Stanford, Stanford University Press, 2004
- “Wedding Celebrations as Conspicuous Consumption: Signaling Social Status in Rural India,” (with Francis Bloch and Sonalde Desai), Journal of Human Resources, Volume XXXIX, Number 3, Summer 2004
- “Celebrations as Social Investments: Festival Expenditures, Unit Price Variation and Social Status in Rural India,”Journal of Development Studies , October 2001
- ”Poverty and Public Celebrations in Rural India,” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science,” Vol. 573, Pp: 85-104, 2001
- “Wife Beating in Rural South India: A Qualitative and Econometric Analysis,” Social Science and Medicine , Vol. 44, # 8, Pp. 1169-1180, April 1997. For this paper please see this extended version: “Wife-Abuse, Its Causes and Its Impact on Intra-Household Resource Allocation in Rural Karnataka: A “Participatory Econometric” Analysis, in Gender, Population, and Development, M.Krishnaraj, R.Sudarshan, A.Sharif (ed.), Oxford University Press, 1998
- “Can Economics Mediate the Link Between Anthropology and Demography?” Population and Development Review, Vol. 23 #4, Pp:833-38, December 1997
- “Dowry Inflation in Rural India: A Statistical Investigation,” Population Studies Vol. 47 (July 1993).
- “The Rising Price of Husbands: A Hedonic Analysis of Dowry Increases in Rural India“, Journal of Political Economy Vol. 101, #4 (August 1993).